This deal has expired, but be sure to check out our Top 25 deals of the week for savings on trips to destinations around the globe.
Going solo on a cruise has traditionally put a dent in the wallet, thanks to the hefty single supplement added by most cruise lines a that's 75 percent (or more) off the standard double occupancy rates. With only a few ships offering a handful of single-occupancy cabins, many travelers have no choice but to foot the bill. Lately, a slew of deals have been cropping up on smaller vessels and river cruise lines that have drastically reduced, or – even better – waived single supplements.
Boutique river cruise line, Uniworld is waiving the single supplement on 15 of its 2011 European itineraries, including the new Portugal, Spain, and Douro River Valley cruises on the Douro Spirit, and the classic “Castles along the Rhine” itinerary aboard the luxurious River Antoinette – the longest, and most innovative ship in the fleet that is sure to make heads turn. Rates are available on select dates, and are not valid on the holiday and Christmas market cruises.
If you’re looking for opulence and over indulgence, Silversea has you covered with ultra-posh accommodations that include your own personal butler. Not only is Silversea slashing rates up to 60 percent on winter and spring itineraries, the company is also offering reduced single supplements to just 10- to 25 percent off the double occupancy rates. This promotion includes more than 25 cruising options in the Caribbean, Asia, Europe, Australia, and Alaska. Rates start at $3,078 for singles.
Another river cruise line, Avalon Waterways, is waiving rates in early 2011 on popular European waterways and on Black Sea cruises. Plus, spring is shoulder season for river cruises in Europe, so these rates will already be reduced by $500 to $1,000 or more (prices spike in the summer months).
This offer is valid on the following itineraries:
- Burgundy & Provence, departing April 23, 2011
- Romantic Rhine, departing April 23, 2011
- Magnificent Europe, departing November 1, 2011
- European Splendor, departing March 19, 2011
- Blue Danube to the Black Sea, departing March 29 or April 8, 2011
- North Sea – Black Sea Cruise, departing March 19 or April 8, 2011
- The Legendary Danube, departing April 9, April 17, May 5 or November 13, 2011
Under-the-radar Louis Cruises specializes in small-ship cruising in the Mediterranean for people on a budget, and this winter they are waiving the single supplement on three of its winter itineraries in Spain, Morocco, France, and Portugal. Rates start from as little as $700 per person for an eight-night voyage, or $860 for 10 nights – that’s 50 percent off rack rates!
The waived single supplement is valid on select cabin categories on the following voyages:
- 8-night Morocco and Spain cruise embarking on January 26 from Marseilles, France
- 10-night Moorish coastal cruise embarking on February 3, from Genoa, Italy
- 8-night Iberian coastal cruise embarking February 12 from Genoa, Italy
WE'VE GOT MORE: Check out our Cruise Deals section for more great offers.