Avid cruisers are likely to have sailed many of the most well-known itineraries—the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, Alaska, the Baltic Sea — but as cruise lines add ships to their ever-expanding fleets, they are also creating new sailings designed to explore places that are a bit more off the beaten path, such as Japan, Southeast Asia, the Middle East, and South America.
If you’d like to check out cruise itineraries that go beyond the usual places, here are more than 20 sailings on Azamara, Princess Cruises, Celebrity Cruises, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian Cruise Line, Holland America Line, MSC Cruises, Oceania Cruises, and Viking Cruises in either September, October, and November 2019 you can still book. And many are terrific deals — as in under $2,000 per person.
Cruise lines have discovered that Japan — a country that can seem intimidating when it comes to independent travel due to language and cost factors — is attractive to a growing number of passengers. Itineraries here, which range from seven to 14 nights, circle this island nation (with a call on South Korea as well) and offer travelers an opportunity to learn about Japan’s history and culture while enjoying the ease of a cruise. This fall, you call still book the following Japan itineraries:
1. 14-night Circle Japan Intensive Voyage on Azamara Quest: Sail round-trip from Yokohama (Tokyo) on September 4, from $2,899 per person. Also: 16-nights, departing on September 18, from $2,999 per person.
2. 7-night Japan/Korea Cruise on MSC Splendida: Cruise roundtrip from Yokohama (Tokyo) on September 14 from $959 per person.
3. 10-night Japan & Korea Cruise on Celebrity Millennium: Sail roundtrip from Yokohama (Tokyo) on October 2, from $1,374 per person. Also, 14-night Japanese Explorer Cruise departing November 9, from $1,569 per person.
4. 9-night Fall Foliage/Sea of Japan Cruise on Diamond Princess: Cruise roundtrip from Yokohama (Tokyo) on November 4, from $1,299 per person. Or 15-night Fall Foliage Kyushu/Shikoku & Southern Islands on November 21, from $1,644 per person.
It’s springtime in South America from late September to early December, which makes it a terrific time to enjoy the region’s newly green landscape as well as glacier-fed waterfalls. Cruise lines are offering itineraries ranging from 9 to 33 nights this fall. Here are several to consider.
1. 13-night South America Passage on Holland America’s Westerdam: Cruise from San Antonio (Santiago), Chile to Buenos Aires on October 30, from $1,959 per person. Or vice-versa on November 13, from $1,849 per person.
2. 34-day Antarctica, Cape Horn and Brazilian Grand Adventure on Coral Princess: Cruise from Fort Lauderdale to San Antonio (Santiago), Chile on December 2, from $3,019 per person.
3. 8-night Rio to Buenos Aires Voyage on Azamara Quest: Cruise from Rio de Janeiro to Buenos Aires on November 30, from $1,539 per person.
4. 17-night South America & Chilean Fjords on Viking Jupiter: Sail from Buenos Aires to Valparaíso, Chile on December 4, from $6,799 per person.
Several cruise lines are moving ships from he Mediterranean to the Indian Ocean this fall and offering 6- to 20-night Middle East itineraries with assorted ports — in Israel, Jordan, Egypt, Oman, Bahrain, and the United Arab Emirates — and some cruises have fares that are a bargain for the more adventurous traveler.
1. 21-day Arabian Odyssey on Norwegian Jade: Cruise from Rome to Abu Dhabi on on November 7, from $1,349 per person.
2. 15-night Rome to Dubai Grand Adventure on Sapphire Princess: Sail from Rome to Abu Dhabi on November 10, from $1,539 per person.
3. 19-night Historic Crossroads on Oceania Nautica: Cruise from Rome to Dubai on November 17, from $3,999 per person.
4. 10-night Emirates Discovery on Crystal Esprit: Sail roundtrip from Dubai on November 19, from $6,185 per person. Or 7-night Emirates Yacht Adventure on December 16 from Dubai, from $3,250 per person.
5. 7-night Dubai and UAE Cruise on Costa Diadema: Sail roundtrip from Dubai on November 23, from $1,109 per person.
6. 11-night Arabian Gulf & Emirates Voyage on Azamara Quest: Cruise roundtrip from Dubai on November 29, from $1,539 per person.
If you’re looking to explore countries in Southeast Asia such as China, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar, and Indonesia, and prefer ocean cruising to river cruising, these itineraries offer a variety of options.
1. 7-night Hong Kong to Singapore Cruise on Royal Caribbean’s Voyager of the Seas: Sail from Hong Kong to Singapore on September 3, from $2,942 per person.
2. 15-night Vietnam & Thailand Intensive Voyage on Azamara Quest: Sail from Hong Kong to Singapore on Oct. 16, from $2,899 per person. Also 12-night Myanmar’s Mysteries Voyage, roundtrip from Singapore on October 31, from $3,199 per person.
3. 13-night Far East Discovery on Holland America’s Westerdam: Sail from Hong Kong to Singapore on November 9, from $1,699 per person.
4. 14-night Southeast Asia & Hong Kong on Viking Orion: Sail from Hong Kong to Laem Chabang (Bangkok), Thailand on November 15, from $6,299 per person. Also, 12-night Bangkok, Bali & Beyond from Laem Chabang (Bangkok), Thailand to Benoa, Bali on November 29, from $4,299 per person.